This is my all-time favorite salad! It can be served in the summer, spring, fall, or winter. I’m making it in honor of Father’s Day for my husband because I got this recipe from his late Mother many years ago. To be exact, it was 1983. She gave me the recipe so I could bring this dish to a family Fourth of July party. I still have (and use) the original piece of scrap paper that she wrote the recipe on.
Spinach Salad Ingredients
- 5 oz. Bag Baby Spinach
- 8 oz. Can Diced Water Chestnuts
- 2 Grated Hard Boiled Eggs
- 5 Crisp Crumbled Slices Bacon
- 1 Small Diced Red Onion
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Optional: 1 Can Drained Bean Sprouts
Spinach Salad Directions
- Wash spinach and dry in salad spinner.
- If desired, pull stems off spinach leaves. I just leave them on. Baby spinach is tender and I don’t mind eating the stems but if you don’t like them, pull them off.
- Dice water chestnuts to smaller cubes than the size they come in the can.
- Hard Boil eggs. Cool. Chop.
- Cook bacon according to package directions. When cool, crumble them.
- Dice Onion.
Toss ingredients in bowl with spinach or serve them on the side so each person can take what they like.
The Dressing Ingredients
- ¾ to 1 C. Olive Oil
- ¾ C. Sugar
- 1/3 C. Ketchup
- ¼ C. Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
Mix all ingredients in a salad dressing shaker or any sealed container (so you can shake to mix). Serve in a decorative dressing server or gravy boat. Keep a small spoon nearby to stir it occasionally as the oil and vinegar will separate.
I have made this salad so many times over the years, and it has never failed to be hit. Give it a try for Father’s Day, Fourth of July, or just serve it with your Friday night pizza!
If you try my Korean Style Spinach Salad, let me know how you liked it in the comments below.
- Dealing with Back to School Blues - August 25, 2017
- 3 Ways to Attract Hummingbirds - August 11, 2017
- 3 Easy Meat Rubs - August 4, 2017
- 10 Ways to Reuse Newspaper - July 28, 2017
- DIY Makeup Remover Wipes - July 19, 2017
- Taking the Plastic Free July Challenge - July 7, 2017
- Berry and Greek Yogurt Dessert - July 1, 2017
- 11 Ways to Keep Mosquitoes Away - June 23, 2017
- Korean Style Spinach Salad - June 17, 2017
- Veggie and Feta Pasta Salad - June 9, 2017