Baking soda is one of the safest, simplest, and most gentle cleaning products available. It has so many different uses that it’s also one of the most versatile products you’ll ever buy. While it’s effective and inexpensive for many home cleaning chores, it also an excellent useful and a versatile personal care product.
Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) regulates and neutralizes pH. It cleans, neutralizes, and deodorizes. The best part is that when it washes down the drain, it won’t pollute our water supply.
You probably already have a box or two in your cupboards, but after reading this you’ll want to stock up!
10 Personal Care Uses for Baking Soda:
- Hair Clarifier: add quarter size amount to shampoo to remove residue from hair. Shampoo as usual.
- Bath Soak: add ½ C. to bath water for a refreshing soak.
- Foot Soak: add 3 Tbsp. to about a gallon of warm water for a soothing foot soak.
- Foot paste: mix 2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. of water for a foot paste. Helps relieve dry scaly feet.
- Face or Body Exfoliator: sprinkle a little in facial or body cleanser for a light exfoliator.
- Deodorant: dust under arms as a deodorant.
- Toothpaste: dip toothbrush in small dish of baking soda and use as a simple toothpaste.*
*Since it doesn’t have fluoride in it, I don’t use it all the time. Also, it’s not recommended for children, but for adults, it’s a good periodic alternative to store-bought toothpaste.
- Mouthwash: mix 1 tsp. in ½ glass water for a mouthwash.
- Insect bite reliever: mix 2 Tbsp. with 2 tsp. water for an insect bite soothing salve.
- Hairbrush cleaner: add 1 tsp. to a bowl of water to clean oil and residue from hairbrushes.
Give some or all of these suggestions a try. Do what works for you. The more you are able to use safe, non-toxic, and eco-friendly products like baking soda, the happier your wallet and our environment will be!
Related: DIY Coconut Honey Hair Mask
Related: Simple Non-Toxic Household Cleaners
Let me know in the comments section what personal care issues you use baking soda for.
Related: 3 Uses for Dr. Bronner’s Soap
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
- Dealing with Back to School Blues - August 25, 2017
- 3 Ways to Attract Hummingbirds - August 11, 2017
- 3 Easy Meat Rubs - August 4, 2017
- 10 Ways to Reuse Newspaper - July 28, 2017
- DIY Makeup Remover Wipes - July 19, 2017
- Taking the Plastic Free July Challenge - July 7, 2017
- Berry and Greek Yogurt Dessert - July 1, 2017
- 11 Ways to Keep Mosquitoes Away - June 23, 2017
- Korean Style Spinach Salad - June 17, 2017
- Veggie and Feta Pasta Salad - June 9, 2017