One thing in my life that gets frazzled after the holidays is my hair. Normally, I wash, blow dry, and curl it every other day. I may curl it again or use a straightener on the off day. I definitely do all of it more often during the holiday season when I go to parties and extra events. Combine that with the dry weather we have during the winter and my hair needs extra help.
To keep my hair healthy I primarily use Rusk Deep Shine Keratin Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner, a product line that my hair stylist, Evan, recommended. She also recommended using coconut oil on my hair as a deep conditioner. Sometimes I do use straight coconut oil on my hair and sleep with it on all night. In the morning I just wash it off. Shampooing two to three times gets all the oil out.
I came up with a hair mask that combines the benefits of both coconut oil and honey. It leaves hair moisturized and free of buildup. It’s also simple and easy to make at home with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
HAIR MASK RECIPE
- ½ C. Coconut Oil (I use this brand)
- ½ C. Honey
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
* If you have short or thin hair, you can cut this recipe in half.
- Pre-melt coconut oil in the microwave until it’s soft.
- Mix in the honey and the baking soda.
- Distribute the mixture into wet hair, putting more of it at the ends than the scalp.
- Your hair will be drippy so wrap a towel around it.
- Leave on for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Wash hair with two to three rounds of shampoo.
- Dry and style as usual. Hair will be soft and manageable!
I try to do this hair mask about once a week to keep my locks healthy and well-conditioned. During the time my hair is being restored, I also restore my sanity by soaking in the tub or just relaxing on the couch. Sometimes I’ll do a face mask at the same time. Whether it’s after the holidays or after a long work week, it’s always a good idea to take care of your hair and yourself!
Let me know what your favorite homemade hair mask is in the comments below.
Want more DIY beauty tips? You may also like this DIY Peppermint Lip Scrub.
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
- DIY Makeup Remover Wipes - July 19, 2017
- Taking the Plastic Free July Challenge - July 7, 2017
- Berry and Greek Yogurt Dessert - July 1, 2017
- 11 Ways to Keep Mosquitoes Away - June 23, 2017
- Korean Style Spinach Salad - June 17, 2017
- Veggie and Feta Pasta Salad - June 9, 2017
- 3 Tips on Socializing at Parties - June 2, 2017
- 3 Tips to Make Transition and Change Easier - May 20, 2017
- 10 Flowering Plants Toxic to Dogs & Cats - April 21, 2017
- 5 Ways to Keep Birds Safe and Healthy - April 14, 2017