Baking soda is one of the safest, simplest, and most gentle cleaning products available. It has so many different uses that it’s also one of the most versatile products you’ll ever buy. While it’s effective and inexpensive for many home cleaning chores, it also an excellent useful and a versatile personal care product.
Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) regulates and neutralizes pH. It cleans, neutralizes, and deodorizes. The best part is that when it washes down the drain, it won’t pollute our water supply.
You probably already have a box or two in your cupboards, but after reading this you’ll want to stock up!
10 Personal Care Uses for Baking Soda:
- Hair Clarifier: add quarter size amount to shampoo to remove residue from hair. Shampoo as usual.
- Bath Soak: add ½ C. to bath water for a refreshing soak.
- Foot Soak: add 3 Tbsp. to about a gallon of warm water for a soothing foot soak.
- Foot paste: mix 2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. of water for a foot paste. Helps relieve dry scaly feet.
- Face or Body Exfoliator: sprinkle a little in facial or body cleanser for a light exfoliator.
- Deodorant: dust under arms as a deodorant.
- Toothpaste: dip toothbrush in small dish of baking soda and use as a simple toothpaste.*
*Since it doesn’t have fluoride in it, I don’t use it all the time. Also, it’s not recommended for children, but for adults, it’s a good periodic alternative to store-bought toothpaste.
- Mouthwash: mix 1 tsp. in ½ glass water for a mouthwash.
- Insect bite reliever: mix 2 Tbsp. with 2 tsp. water for an insect bite soothing salve.
- Hairbrush cleaner: add 1 tsp. to a bowl of water to clean oil and residue from hairbrushes.
Give some or all of these suggestions a try. Do what works for you. The more you are able to use safe, non-toxic, and eco-friendly products like baking soda, the happier your wallet and our environment will be!
Related: DIY Coconut Honey Hair Mask
Related: Simple Non-Toxic Household Cleaners
Let me know in the comments section what personal care issues you use baking soda for.
Related: 3 Uses for Dr. Bronner’s Soap
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
Lisa is a mother of three lovely young women and is a new grandmother to a baby boy! She has been married to her high school sweetheart for more than thirty years. Lisa is originally from Dearborn Heights, Michigan, but has lived in the Tampa Bay area since 1984. Running a small business for over 25 years and raising a family has made for a busy, busy life with many ups and downs; it’s definitely been an adventure.
Lisa’s always involved in one project or another whether it’s work related or serving her community. She also recently went back to school to finish her bachelor’s degree in American Studies. Lisa tries to make every day a good day—that means learning something new, practicing kindness, and enjoying the present moment.