Baking soda is one of the safest, simplest, and most gentle cleaning products available. It has so many different uses that it’s also one of the most versatile products you’ll ever buy. While it’s effective and inexpensive for many home cleaning chores, it also an excellent useful and versatile personal care product.
Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) regulates and neutralizes pH. It cleans, neutralizes, and deodorizes. The best part is that when it washes down the drain, it won’t pollute our water supply.
You probably already have a box or two in your cupboards, but after reading this you’ll want to stock up!
10 Personal Care Uses for Baking Soda:
- Hair Clarifier: add quarter size amount to shampoo to remove residue from hair. Shampoo as usual.
- Bath Soak: add ½ C. to bath water for a refreshing soak.
- Foot Soak: add 3 Tbsp. to about a gallon of warm water for a soothing foot soak.
- Foot paste: mix 2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. of water for a foot paste. Helps relieve dry scaly feet.
- Face or Body Exfoliator: sprinkle a little in facial or body cleanser for a light exfoliator.
- Deodorant: dust under arms as a deodorant.
- Toothpaste: dip toothbrush in small dish of baking soda and use as a simple toothpaste.*
*Since it doesn’t have fluoride in it, I don’t use it all the time. Also, it’s not recommended for children, but for adults, it’s a good periodic alternative to store bought toothpaste.
- Mouthwash: mix 1 tsp. in ½ glass water for a mouthwash.
- Insect bite reliever: mix 2 Tbsp. with 2 tsp. water for an insect bite soothing salve.
- Hairbrush cleaner: add 1 tsp. to a bowl of water to clean oil and residue from hairbrushes.
Give some or all of these suggestions a try. Do what works for you. The more you are able to use safe, non-toxic, and eco-friendly products like baking soda, the happier your wallet and our environment will be!
Let me know in the comments section what personal care issues you use baking soda for.
- DIY Makeup Remover Wipes - July 19, 2017
- Taking the Plastic Free July Challenge - July 7, 2017
- Berry and Greek Yogurt Dessert - July 1, 2017
- 11 Ways to Keep Mosquitoes Away - June 23, 2017
- Korean Style Spinach Salad - June 17, 2017
- Veggie and Feta Pasta Salad - June 9, 2017
- 3 Tips on Socializing at Parties - June 2, 2017
- 3 Tips to Make Transition and Change Easier - May 20, 2017
- 10 Flowering Plants Toxic to Dogs & Cats - April 21, 2017
- 5 Ways to Keep Birds Safe and Healthy - April 14, 2017