One of my favorite DIY crafts is candle making. I love to burn candles…especially at mealtime. Whether it’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner, there’s nothing like the light from a burning candle to give any meal a special ambiance.
I used to make candles from paraffin wax, but now I only make soy wax candles. Do you ever notice the black around the rim of candles? That’s what you’re breathing in when you burn paraffin candles. EW!
Soy candles burn cleaner than paraffin candles. Soy wax doesn’t burn toxins or pollutants. It’s made from soybeans – an all-natural, biodegradable, and sustainable product. Paraffin wax, on the other hand, is made from petroleum, which contains carcinogenic substances that may be released into the air when burning.
Soy candles typically last longer than paraffin candles because of the cooler burning temperature of the soybean-based wax. The slower burn of the candle tends to release the added essential oils at a more even, gradual pace. You’ll be able to enjoy your candles longer while knowing they’re healthy for you, your family, and the environment.
Citrus scented soy candles like these refreshing lemon and orange fragrances are perfect springtime aromas! Try making these simple and easy DIY candles today!
Related: DIY Glam Makeup Storage
- Miscellaneous jars or recycled candle holders.
- 2 lbs. soy chips. (Purchased 1 lb. container from Michaels at $8.99. 2 lbs. of chips will yield about 32 fluid oz. of wax.)
- Wicks with wick tabs—at least 6 inches. (Purchased from Michaels at $ 3.99)
- Lemon and Orange essential oils (Amazon 3 pack)
- Skewers/Dowels (Amazon)
- Large heatproof measuring cup (Bed Bath and Beyond)
- Lemons and/or oranges*
- Citrus zester* (Amazon)
*Optional for added scent and texture.
Related: DIY Makeup Remover Wipes
- Assemble clean containers.
- Dip wick tab in a little melted wax and place tab in the center of the vessel.
- Tie wick to skewer in order to stabilize it. Rest the skewer on top of the vessel.
- Pour soy chips into measuring cup.
- Melt soy chips in the microwave, checking and stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Add essential oils to melted soy chips. Use about 30 drops to 1 cup of soy wax. Stir.
- Pour soy wax into vessels about 1/4 of the way filled. Let sit for 10 minutes to stabilize.
- Fill vessel rest of the way with soy wax.
- Cool for several hours until firm.
- Trim wick.
*Optional: Just before wax is almost set, add some citrus zest to top of candle for a special touch.
Related: Effortless Aromatherapy
Now you’re ready to light your candles and enjoy their healthy and sweet smelling scents. Use them at mealtime, bath time, or anytime! Be sure to let me know how you liked them.
- 5 DIY Natural Plant Insecticides - June 20, 2018
- Coconut Rosemary Hot Oil Hair Treatment - June 13, 2018
- 22 Ways to Avoid Plastic Shopping Bags - June 8, 2018
- DIY Lemon Dishwasher Pods - May 25, 2018
- 10 Eco-Friendly Laundry Tips - May 11, 2018
- DIY Perspiration Stain Remover - May 4, 2018
- 10 Uses for White Vinegar - April 20, 2018
- Quick and Easy DIY Laundry Pods - April 6, 2018
- When Your Kid’s Dreams are Hard to Encourage - March 30, 2018
- Simply Fresh Broccoli Soup - March 16, 2018