One of my favorite DIY crafts is candle making. I love to burn candles…especially at meal time. Whether it’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner, there’s nothing like the light from a burning candle to give any meal a special ambiance.
I used to make candles from paraffin wax, but now I only make soy wax candles. Do you ever notice the black around the rim of candles? That’s what you’re breathing in when you burn paraffin candles. EW!
Soy candles burn cleaner than paraffin candles. Soy wax doesn’t burn toxins or pollutants. It’s made from soybeans – an all-natural, biodegradable, and sustainable product. Paraffin wax, on the other hand, is made from petroleum, which contains carcinogenic substances that may be released into the air when burning.
Soy candles typically last longer than paraffin candles because of the cooler burning temperature of the soybean-based wax. The slower burn of the candle tends to release the added essential oils at a more even, gradual pace. You’ll be able to enjoy your candles longer while knowing they’re healthy for you, your family, and the environment.
Citrus scented soy candles like these refreshing lemon and orange fragrances are perfect springtime aromas! Try making these simple and easy DIY candles today!
- Miscellaneous jars or recycled candle holders.
- 2 lbs. soy chips. (Purchased 1 lb. container from Michaels at $8.99. 2 lbs. of chips will yield about 32 fluid oz. of wax.)
- Wicks with wick tabs—at least 6 inches. (Purchased from Michaels at $ 3.99)
- Lemon and Orange essential oils (Amazon 3 pack)
- Skewers/Dowels (Amazon)
- Large heatproof measuring cup (Bed Bath and Beyond)
- Lemons and/or oranges*
- Citrus zester* (Amazon)
*Optional for added scent and texture.
- Assemble clean containers.
- Dip wick tab in a little melted wax and place tab in center of the vessel.
- Tie wick to skewer in order to stabilize it. Rest the skewer on top of vessel.
- Pour soy chips into measuring cup.
- Melt soy chips in microwave, checking and stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Add essential oils to melted soy chips. Use about 30 drops to 1 cup of soy wax. Stir.
- Pour soy wax into vessels about 1/4 of the way filled. Let sit for 10 minutes to stabilize.
- Fill vessel rest of the way with soy wax.
- Cool for several hours until firm.
- Trim wick.
*Optional: Just before wax is almost set, add some citrus zest to top of candle for a special touch.
Now you’re ready to light your candles and enjoy their healthy and sweet smelling scents. Use them at meal time, bath time, or anytime! Be sure to let me know how you liked them.
- Dealing with Back to School Blues - August 25, 2017
- 3 Ways to Attract Hummingbirds - August 11, 2017
- 3 Easy Meat Rubs - August 4, 2017
- 10 Ways to Reuse Newspaper - July 28, 2017
- DIY Makeup Remover Wipes - July 19, 2017
- Taking the Plastic Free July Challenge - July 7, 2017
- Berry and Greek Yogurt Dessert - July 1, 2017
- 11 Ways to Keep Mosquitoes Away - June 23, 2017
- Korean Style Spinach Salad - June 17, 2017
- Veggie and Feta Pasta Salad - June 9, 2017