Although gardening is one of my favorite hobbies, the lush green plants that I would bring home from the nursery often turned into brown, dried-up dead things. I just wasn’t able to give them the attention that they needed. Instead of giving up on houseplants, I’ve learned a few tricks to help keep them alive and healthy.
Low maintenance houseplants are the key to success for the gardener who is short on time. These types of plants still thrive even if you aren’t able to devote as much time and attention to them as you’d like. They simply don’t require a lot of care. Even though they’re not fussy, these houseplants still need some care. Here are five tips that help houseplants flourish:
- Follow light and watering requirements faithfully.
- Keep the care instructions spike in the planter. If you don’t like the looks of them, make your own.
- Use watering bulbs.
- Regularly remove faded or dead leaves and flowers. Rotting plant material attracts disease and insects.
- Take care of disease and pest issues as soon as you notice them. Have treatments ready to go- whether you buy them or make them yourself.
Here are some low maintenance houseplants that are hard to kill:
Related: Christmas Cactus Care
Related: DIY Recycle Center
Related: Effortless Aromatherapy
Let me know what plants you’ve found are low maintenance in the comments below. Or tell me if you know what kind plant my honorable mention plant is!
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
- Dealing with Back to School Blues - August 25, 2017
- 3 Ways to Attract Hummingbirds - August 11, 2017
- 3 Easy Meat Rubs - August 4, 2017
- 10 Ways to Reuse Newspaper - July 28, 2017
- DIY Makeup Remover Wipes - July 19, 2017
- Taking the Plastic Free July Challenge - July 7, 2017
- Berry and Greek Yogurt Dessert - July 1, 2017
- 11 Ways to Keep Mosquitoes Away - June 23, 2017
- Korean Style Spinach Salad - June 17, 2017
- Veggie and Feta Pasta Salad - June 9, 2017