As Florida winters go, it’s been a cold one this year, and the past few days have definitely been a bit chilly. When it’s cold outside I need the three S’s: sweaters, scarves, and soup. Of course, I usually need these things year round because even when it’s very hot outside, my house and office tend to have the air conditioner turned down so low that I’m always cold no matter what. Easy Broccoli Soup is perfect whether it’s cold outside or just cold inside.
I do actually enjoy eating soup year round, but I prefer to make my own soup and almost never eat store-bought soup or soup from a restaurant. It’s not that those soups don’t taste good—many of them are very good. It’s just that they’re usually very high in calories, fat, and sodium. When I make my own soup, I can control these things. And if I’m going to splurge on calories and fat, I’d prefer my treat to involve chocolate.
- 32 Oz. Vegetable Broth (low sodium, if preferred)
- 1 Bunch Broccoli
- 1 Medium Apple (peeled and chopped)
- 1 Medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Sour Cream
1. Heat broth in medium saucepan until it comes to a boil.
2. Add broccoli to the broth and cook at medium heat for about 20 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
3. While broccoli is cooking, sauté onion and apple in butter about 5 minutes or until onion is transparent.
4. Add sautéed onion and apple to vegetable broth and broccoli.
5. Use a stick blender to process vegetable broth, broccoli, apple, and onion until smooth and creamy.
6. Add salt and pepper.
7. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top of the soup.
Makes approximately 4 1 ½ C. servings.
Related: Easy Baked Onion Rings
This Easy Broccoli Soup is super simple and quick to make. You can make it in less than an hour and pair it with a sandwich or salad for a delicious lunch or dinner. When there are leftovers, it makes a great snack just by itself.
Related: Easy Low-Calorie Tomato Soup
What’s your favorite soup? Do you eat it year round or only when it’s cold outside?
Lisa is a mother of three lovely young women and is a new grandmother to a baby boy! She has been married to her high school sweetheart for more than thirty years. Lisa is originally from Dearborn Heights, Michigan, but has lived in the Tampa Bay area since 1984. Running a small business for over 25 years and raising a family has made for a busy, busy life with many ups and downs; it’s definitely been an adventure.
Lisa’s always involved in one project or another whether it’s work related or serving her community. She also recently went back to school to finish her bachelor’s degree in American Studies. Lisa tries to make every day a good day—that means learning something new, practicing kindness, and enjoying the present moment.