Easy science experiments are a fun way to get your child interested in learning. They don’t have to be too detailed with a lot of steps, just a lot of fun. Actually, in my opinion, the fewer steps the better when trying to entertain a toddler. During letter O week of my alphabet lesson plan, we made Foaming Orange Volcanos with just an orange, some baking soda, and little bit of vinegar.
Related: How to Teach a Toddler the Alphabet
This is a simple reactionary science experiment that shows your child when vinegar (an acidic acid) is mixed with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) it produces a carbon dioxide gas in the form of bubbles.
Bubbles! The simplest, and most pure form of fun for a toddler.
- Baking Soda
- Liquid Food Coloring
Related: Shape Recognition Activity
- Cut about a 1/4 off the top of the orange and then scoop out the insides (like when carving a pumpkin).
- Place orange in a shallow bowl.
- Pour 2 cups of vinegar into a large measuring cup. Add a few drops of liquid food coloring (I used pink).
- Add 2-3 Tbsp. of baking soda to the orange.
To get my toddler involved, I let him mix the food coloring and vinegar. He also scooped the baking soda and then poured the vinegar into the orange. This is a great activity that lets your child see a direct result of their actions. The bubbling reaction was, of course, the most fun.
Related: DIY Felt Magnetic Fishing Game
What kind of simple science experiments have you tried with your toddler? Share in the comments below.
This post contains affiliate links and advertisements. Affiliate links and affiliate ads help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
- DIY Hot Wheels Christmas Tree - December 3, 2018
- Thanksgiving Turkey Wind Blower - November 20, 2018
- Thanksgiving Turkey Magnet - November 13, 2018
- Feed the Turkey- Fine Motor Development Game - November 6, 2018
- Underground Discoveries-Letter U Sensory Bin - October 29, 2018
- No-Hassle Racecar Box Halloween Costume - October 15, 2018
- How to Prepare Your Kids for Daylight Savings - October 8, 2018
- Insect Scavenger Hunt - October 1, 2018
- Foaming Orange Volcano - September 24, 2018
- Chocolate Avocado Popsicles - September 10, 2018