When I first started teaching my son how to recognize different shapes, I would draw them on a piece of paper, point, and tell him what each shape was. Before too long he would get bored and move on to a toy with wheels or sound and leave me in the dust. It didn’t take me long to realize I was going about my teaching style all wrong. He needed something to touch and feel in his hands to be more interested in learning his shapes. So I turned my original boring shape activity into a reusable, hands-on, and very easy to make Shape Recognition Activity with colorful felt shapes that can be stuck on and peeled off over and over.
Below is a list of supplies you’ll need to make this Shape Recognition Activity. If you’re a teacher or know someone who has access to a laminating machine, you’ll save big on this project but if you don’t then I suggest springing for an inexpensive laminating machine from Amazon. It won’t be the last time you use it, especially if you’re the crafty type.
Related: DIY Colored Beans for Sensory Play
- Print out 2 of the Shape Recognition Worksheets and laminate one of them. This is the laminator that I use. It’s cheap and easy to operate.
- Cut out each shape from the worksheet you did not laminate.
- Trace each shape onto a piece of colored felt and cut them out. Remember to use a different color for each shape, if possible.
- Apply Velcro dots to the laminated Shape Recognition Worksheet and to each felt shape. I used the soft side on the shapes and the stiff side on the worksheet.
You can also use this Shape Recognition Activity to help your preschooler practice their color recognition and counting skills. And the best part of this worksheet is that it can be used over and over again.
What are some of your favorite ways to teach your preschooler their shapes? Have you tried my DIY Shape Recognition Activity? Let me know how yours turned out. Share in the comments below.
Click to get your FREE Shape Recognition Printable.
Items to buy from Amazon to make your own Shape Recognition Activity:
This post contains affiliate links and advertisements. Affiliate links and affiliate ads help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
- Teaching Your Child to Count to 10 in Spanish - January 15, 2019
- Teaching Your Child Their Phone Number - January 8, 2019
- Christmas Tree Magnet - December 21, 2018
- Christmas Tree Handprint Ornament - December 11, 2018
- DIY Hot Wheels Christmas Tree - December 3, 2018
- Thanksgiving Turkey Wind Blower - November 20, 2018
- Thanksgiving Turkey Magnet - November 13, 2018
- Feed the Turkey- Fine Motor Development Game - November 6, 2018
- Underground Discoveries-Letter U Sensory Bin - October 29, 2018
- No-Hassle Racecar Box Halloween Costume - October 15, 2018