In just a few short months I am getting married! I have been working on all kinds of DIY projects for the big event. Since it’s a barn wedding, we’re going for the rustic feel with touches of our love for all of things nerdy.
We are both HUGE Harry Potter fans so you can bet that there are going to be hints of Harry Potter throughout the wedding. One thing that will definitely have a touch of HP is our cake topper.
Related: Nerd Engagement Photos
Before making this, I prowled the internet for what I envisioned. But when I couldn’t find exactly what I wanted at a reasonable price – I knew what I had to do – DIY!
This is a two parter – you can choose to do both, like us, or only one. I think, either way, it’ll still show a sense of HP and rustic elegance.
Part 1: “Always” Banner
Any true HP fan knows the significance of the word “always” and the weight it carries in the series. That’s why it makes for the perfect cake topper.
- Card Stock (Michaels)
- 2 wooden dowels (Amazon)
- String (Dollar Tree)
- Cursive letter stickers (color of your choice)
- Small hole punch (Amazon)
- Hot glue gun (optional)
- Cut 6 identical sized isosceles triangles from the cardstock. They should be about 2 ½ inches from top to bottom. If you’re doing alternating colors, do 3 of each color.
- Hole punch each triangle in the corners at the shortest end of the triangle.
- With the point facing downwards, use your cursive letters and place the letters on each triangle accordingly – “A” on one, “L” on the next, and so on. Be sure to alternate the color of the triangle as you letter them.
- Cut a piece of string roughly 3ft.
- Feed the string through the holes of triangles in order so it spells out “always”. Leave enough room on the ends of the banner to tie to the dowels – roughly 1ft.
- Tie the ends of banner about ¾ of the way up the dowels.
- For extra security use a hot glue gun and glue just a small dab on the strings to secure to the dowel.
And you’re all done with this part! Place on top of your cake.
Part 2: Gold Deer
A stag and doe are both patronuses to major characters in the books, intertwining with the meaning of the word “always.” They’re also perfect creatures for a woodland/rustic themed wedding. The gold color just adds more of an elegant touch.
- White spray paint primer
- Gold spray paint (Walmart)
- Doe figurine (Amazon)
- Stag figurine (Amazon)
- Old newspaper or sheet (to paint on)
- Lay both figurines on painting surface – newspaper or sheet.
- Lightly coat side of figure with white primer paint.
- Let dry 20-30 minutes.
- Lightly coat other side of figure with white primer paint. *Be sure to get into the hard to reach places like in between the antlers and the underbelly.
- When primer is dry repeat process with gold spray paint on each side.
When it’s dry you’re all done! Place on top of your cake.
Whether you want both the banner and the deer or just one or the other, here is your Harry Potter themed wedding cake topper.
Let me know what you think in the comments below! Are you having a Harry Potter rustic wedding?
Related: 15 Engagement Photo Props
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
- School Supplies for Adults - August 18, 2017
- August Ipsy Review - August 16, 2017
- 9 Things to Always Buy at a Thrift Store - August 9, 2017
- Unique and Affordable Engagement Rings - August 2, 2017
- DIY Harry Potter Wedding Cake Topper - July 26, 2017
- July Ipsy Review - July 21, 2017
- Blogger Recognition Award - July 14, 2017
- A Week in Colorado – Part 3: Adventure Time - July 12, 2017
- A Week in Colorado – Part 2: Copper Mountain - July 5, 2017
- A Week in Colorado – Part 1: Boulder - June 28, 2017