Nothing is quite as refreshing and energizing as the scent of lemons. Sometimes I’ll inhale lemon essential oil for a quick mood booster or have a cup of hot water with lemon slices for a soothing and relaxing hot drink. Lemon juice has so many varied uses, but these are my favorite 5 Practical Uses for Lemons.
Related: DIY Toilet Cleaning Pods
- Whiten laundry: Lemon juice is a great way to whiten and brighten your white laundry. Use the juice of one lemon (about an ounce) in an average size load of laundry. This substitute for harsh bleach works better than a lot of other alternatives I’ve tried.
- Air freshener: Cut a lemon in half and place it anywhere you need help keeping the air in your home fresh. I put one near the cat box and also keep one in the refrigerator to absorb odors. Another way to eliminate odors and freshen the air is to add the juice of one lemon to 1 cup of water and 1 tsp. of vanilla extract in a small saucepan. Simmer the “juice” for a sweet lemony cake smell.
- Deodorant: Lemon juice can be used as a natural deodorant! I read about using lemon juice as a deodorant and I was a little skeptical. But I tried it and it works great. According to an article in Allure magazine, it’s lemon’s citric acid that kills bacteria and odor. Lemon doesn’t, however, have antiperspirant properties so it can’t be counted on to keep you dry. Most of the time I’ve used it, though, it has kept me pretty dry. Not every time, but most.
- Salad dressing: Lemon juice makes for a quick and easy salad dressing. Use 4 parts Olive oil (fat), 1 part lemon juice (acid), 1 part herbs (flavor). Wisk or shake in a jar.
- Flavor enhancer: Poke holes in 1 whole lemon with a fork and place the lemon inside the cavity of a chicken. If you like, place several garlic cloves in the cavity as well. Season with salt and pepper. Coat chicken with Olive oil. The chicken will be flavorful and moist.
If you’re like me and like to buy the big bag of lemons at the grocery store because they’re a much better deal, then you’re always looking for more and new ways to use lemons. Try these 5 Practical Uses for Lemons the next time you pick up a bag. They’re simple, quick, and effective!
Related: 10 Uses for White Vinegar
Have you tried any of these lemon uses before? How did it work out for you? How do you use lemons?
This post contains affiliate links and advertisements. Affiliate links and affiliate ads help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
- 3 Tips on How To Be a Thoughtful Gift Giver - November 16, 2018
- 50 Gifts For The Person Who Has Everything - November 9, 2018
- 5 Items You Should Be Recycling - November 2, 2018
- DIY Body Butter - October 25, 2018
- Simple DIY Lip Balm - October 18, 2018
- Easy Rice Pudding - October 10, 2018
- Pumpkin Honey Muffins - October 3, 2018
- Slow Cooker Baked Apples - September 26, 2018
- Almond Crusted Fried Green Tomatoes - September 19, 2018
- Easy Plant Propagation - September 12, 2018