About 2 months ago I started teaching my 2 (almost 3) year old son the alphabet. At first, I thought singing the alphabet song over and over would get him interested but that was a big fail. Every time I’d start to sing he would say, “stop mommy, stop singing!” Ultimately, I decided on a different approach— the letter of week strategy.
Starting with the letters in his name, each week I concentrate on one letter of the alphabet.
Reading, crafts, sensory, and fine motor play are all great ways to engage a toddler or preschooler when teaching the alphabet. I’ve been working with my son on his alphabet skills for about 10 weeks and his progression and interest in letters has exceeded my expectations tenfold.
Related: How to Teach a Toddler the Alphabet
Don’t be intimidated if your toddler doesn’t take to the lesson plan right away. It took my son a few weeks but eventually, he got the hang of it and started to look forward to activity and craft time.
Below, you can print my free Letter Aa Lesson Plan that includes flashcard study, crafts, reading, activities, and worksheets— all concentrating on the letter A. You can also find some substitute crafts and additional resources below.
Related: Vacation Countdown Calendar for Kids
Print your free Letter A Lesson Plan for preschoolers below.
Free worksheets, flashcards, and books to buy and download from the above lesson plan:
Free download- Letter A alphabet book The Measured Mom.
Flashcards from The Measured Mom.
Letter A Crafts:
- Uppercase A- Alligator
- Lowercase a- airplane
- Ant puppet
Letter A Books:
Letter A Activites:
- Apple Tree Letter Matching Game
- Apple Stamping
- Ape Puppet
- Letter Stamps in Playdoh
- Shaving Cream Letters
Letter A Worksheets:
- Free Ambulance Printable
- Free A is for Apple Printable
- Do A Dot Page
- Block Letters
- Letter Workbook/Tracing
- The Alphabet Tree
- Hey Little Ant
- Ten Apples Up on Top
- The Lady With the Alligator Purse
- The Ants Go Marching
What’s your approach to teaching the alphabet to your preschooler? Share some of your ideas below.
Additional supplies to buy on Amazon:
This post contains affiliate links and advertisements. Affiliate links and affiliate ads help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
- Letter A Lesson Plan for Preschoolers - July 24, 2018
- Bye Bye Paci- How to Slowly Wean from the Pacifier - July 16, 2018
- DIY Felt Magnetic Fishing Game - July 9, 2018
- Vacation Countdown Calendar for Kids - July 2, 2018
- Guide to the Best Potty Training Chairs and Seats - June 25, 2018
- How to Teach a Toddler the Alphabet - June 18, 2018
- Chemical-Free Coconut Oil Toothpaste - June 11, 2018
- 17 Best Cloth Diapering Accessories - June 4, 2018
- Homemade Coconut Aluminum-Free Deodorant - May 29, 2018
- 11 Must Have Potty Training Tools To Make the Process Easier - May 21, 2018