When times get stressful sometimes all you want to do is escape the daily grind. One of my favorite ways to do that is by indulging in the supernatural/fantasy genre. What better way to get out of your head then to be in a world so unlike your own? Especially right now at the peak of hurricane season in Florida, we’re all still reeling from Hurricane Irma and all I want to do is think about something else.
I’ve always loved fantastical stories. From a young age I was all about Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings; as I’ve gotten older I’m realizing how much I truly love supernatural and fantasy storytelling. Books and TV shows really capture my attention because there is so much content to be consumed and the worlds really open up with long-form entertainment. So I have compiled a list of a few of my favorites, I mean obsession-worthy, supernatural/fantasy TV shows you need to be binge-watching!
- Supernatural – Obviously! This show is about 2 brothers road-tripping across America basically fighting Supernatural crimes. If you’ve never seen the show before, it starts out very “monster-of-the-week” but after the first few seasons turns into something with a lot more range. It’s stopping the apocalypse, it’s dramatic and funny, and it’s about family and friends. There are 12 seasons so you know it’s got a great fanbase. This is one of my ALL-TIME favorite shows and even if you only watch a few seasons, you’re in for a treat!
- Game of Thrones – I know you’ve heard of this one. It’s a revelation of storytelling because there is SO MUCH. But this show is not for the light-hearted. This show is violent, it’s explicit, and it’s NSFW. Some of it is actually hard to watch because of the violence. But I wouldn’t be telling you about it if I didn’t truly believe that the storytelling is worth it. There are so many twists and turns, you have to watch closely and listen hard. But when you watch characters from the beginning to the end (if they make it to the end) and see how they develop, it’s amazing. Not to mention, the mythology of the story. I listen to podcasts where they talk about the history of this world as if it were real. From the point of view of someone who revels in the art of storytelling, this is a masterpiece.
I know if you haven’t watched it yet, you’ve probably already decided you’re not going to and I just want to say to you specifically- it’s not too late. The first season seems boring but it’s very important. It might seem unsatisfying in the beginning but trust me, it pays off. You can get HBONow for it a month and binge it all! Then you can wait with the rest of the world for the final season in 2019.
- Once Upon a Time – This show is for the light-hearted. The premise of the show is what if all the fairy-tales we’ve heard growing up were true? What if Snow White and Prince Charming were real people? It’s such an interesting twist on fairy tales. It sounds so silly but it’s actually completely adorable and definitely an adult show that can also be watched with the kids. I’ve spent a solid 3 years obsessed with this show and listened to more podcasts than I care to admit. There are 6 seasons on Netflix right now and it’s definitely worth a watch.
Related: 5 Podcasts You Need to Listen to
- Lucifer – Lucifer is the more adult version of Once Upon a Time. Its lead protagonist is the fallen Angel Lucifer living in the real world in Los Angeles. It’s a characterization of Lucifer and what would happen if he decided to leave Hell. It’s almost like biblical fan fiction that takes place in the real world. On top of that twist, there’s also a female cop that Lucifer partners up with and helps solve murders. But it’s funny and light-hearted, though not something I’d watch with the kids. I’m currently making my way through season 2 on Hulu! (Also, it has a great soundtrack!)
- Midnight, Texas – I’m not sure if I’d say this show is obsession-worthy yet – but I still think it’s worth watching. It’s based on a book series from the same author who created True Blood (which, spoiler, is a bonus show below). It’s about a psychic who’s on the run and his dead grandmother’s spirit tells him to go to this little Texas town called Midnight. And surprise, there are all kinds of supernatural shenanigans that ensue. It just started this summer so I’ve been watching every week. I hope that it stays on TV because it looks like it has a lot of storytelling potential.
Related: August Playlist Favorites
BONUS: True Blood
True Blood was a show on HBO that ended just a few years ago and it was amazing. It’s about vampires living in the real world and how that world would function. They call “coming out of the coffin”. But as the show continues, it’s not just about vampires, it’s about werewolves, werepanthers, ancient-god/demons, witches, and even a zombie-like version of vampires. Did I mention it takes place in Louisiana? It’s completely out of the typical stereotypical realm of vampire storytelling. This is the dirty south in all it’s glory and it’s a lot of fun. I’ve been debating for months about rewatching it from the beginning AGAIN (3rd time’s the charm right?). All 7 seasons are on HBO!
Have you seen any of these shows? Or do you have any supernatural/fantasy shows to recommend? Let me know in the comments!
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
- How to Create a Calm Space - August 8, 2018
- Summer Tailgate Essentials - August 1, 2018
- What I’ve been Loving Lately - July 25, 2018
- Top 5 Favorite Travel Destinations – East Coast Edition - July 20, 2018
- A DMB kind of Summer - July 6, 2018
- Update From The Road - June 29, 2018
- Wet n Wild Megalast Catsuit Liquid Lipstick Review - June 15, 2018
- The Perfect Summer Sundress - June 6, 2018
- Van Life Beauty Essentials - May 30, 2018
- 3 Reasons I love Shapewear! - May 23, 2018