My son just turned 3 recently and I’m really starting to see this amazing personality shine through his tiny little body. He’s so lovable and outgoing—he’s the kid in Target that says hi to every single stranger that passes by. And he won’t stop saying hi until you respond! He’s also inquisitive—asking about a million questions a day about everything he sees, hears, or touches. Right now, he’s really into bugs! Most of the time, when he comes across a new insect that he’s never seen, his first reaction is, “Mommy look, it’s so cute.” Followed by “What is it?” “Can I hold it”? “Is it slimy”? And “I love it!”
During letter I week of teaching my son the alphabet, I put together a simple Insect Scavenger Hunt for him to have fun investigating nature and his outdoor surroundings. He was so excited to try and find every insect on the checklist.
He carried around my laminated Insect Scavenger Hunt checklist, a dry erase marker in his pocket and his binoculars around his neck—which he used to scout out butterflies and bees. After catching some lizards, ants, and a ladybug, he did some up close inspecting when he put all his insects in his Battat Tiki Retreat bug catcher. It’s the Ritz for bugs!
After a few hours of holding his bugs and naming them, we let them go (behind the fence) and, of course, did it all again the next day.
Related: Foaming Orange Volcano
You can print and laminate my Insect Scavenger Hunt printable below and get some of the coordinating items on Amazon for your Insect Scavenger Hunt.
Related: Teach Your Child How to Call 911
Print Your Free Insect Scavenger Hunt Printable Here.
Related: Chocolate-Avocado Popsicles
Is your toddler into insects? What are some of the funny things your kids like? Share in the comments below.
This post contains affiliate links and advertisements. Affiliate links and affiliate ads help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
Buy on Amazon for you Insect Scavenger Hunt:
- No-Hassle Racecar Box Halloween Costume - October 15, 2018
- How to Prepare Your Kids for Daylight Savings - October 8, 2018
- Insect Scavenger Hunt - October 1, 2018
- Foaming Orange Volcano - September 24, 2018
- Chocolate Avocado Popsicles - September 10, 2018
- Teach Your Child How to Call 911 - September 4, 2018
- Letter B Lesson Plan for Preschoolers - August 27, 2018
- DIY Stress Relief Balm - August 20, 2018
- Letter A Lesson Plan for Preschoolers - July 24, 2018
- Bye Bye Paci- How to Slowly Wean from the Pacifier - July 16, 2018