Last year I saw a viral video on Facebook all about a nonprofit organization that uses mascara wands to clean baby animals #wandsforwildlife. It’s called Appalachian Wildlife Refuge and they rescue and rehabilitate injured and orphaned wildlife in North Carolina.
This organization, in particular, caught my eye because of their unique approach to not only helping animals but also recycling, literally two of my favorite things.
They use the mascara wands to remove fly eggs and larva from baby animal fur. The wands are perfect because they’re so small and the bristles are close together.
I love this idea so much, of course, I want to help. Like I said, helping animals and recycling are two of my favorite things, but so is makeup! If I can use makeup to help animals and recycle while I’m doing it, I’m a very happy lady.
Related: Why I Buy Cruelty-Free
When I first saw the video I didn’t have any wands to donate, but I have been saving up for a few months now, and I’m up to 8 wands that I’m sending in!
If you’re interested in helping baby animals and want to recycle your old mascara wands too, here’s how:
- Save/collect mascara wands.
- Clean your old wands with warm soapy water.
- Print out the form from their website.
- *Mail wands and form in!
*You’re responsible for shipping fee
I think this is such a great way to help animals and be able to recycle something you’d normally throw away. I would never have thought that mascara wands could be used for this but it’s perfect!
Of course, you can also donate to Appalachian Wildlife Refuge or even volunteer if you’re in the western North Carolina area.
I’m so excited to donate my wands, now if only there was a way to donate my old liquid lipstick wands!
Related: Eco-Friendly Gifts
Related: DIY Recycle Center
Let me know in the comments below if you do anything different to recycle or if you’d like to donate your mascara wands too!
- Road to The Gorge – Part 1 - October 17, 2018
- 28 of My Favorite Things! - September 28, 2018
- 28 Songs I Love - September 22, 2018
- 28 Things About Me! - September 14, 2018
- How to Create a Calm Space - August 8, 2018
- Summer Tailgate Essentials - August 1, 2018
- What I’ve been Loving Lately - July 25, 2018
- Top 5 Favorite Travel Destinations – East Coast Edition - July 20, 2018
- A DMB kind of Summer - July 6, 2018
- Update From The Road - June 29, 2018