I was born with a wayward heart. My entire life I have loved to travel. Some of my first memories as a child are those of a family vacation. I truly believe that traveling is not only good for the soul but necessary to have a full life.
As a kid, my parents always took vacations and trips. When I was a teenager I was fortunate to be able to take a trip to Europe. Since the beginning of my adult life, I have always made it a point to find a way to travel at least once a year whether with my family or my now husband. We’ve been up and down the east coast and bits of the west.
And now my husband and I are planning our next big adventure. Instead of a honeymoon or a house – we bought a van! We’re currently customizing it so we can live in it and travel the country for the next year or so.
Last summer we took a trip to Colorado, our first big trip out west and it completely changed our outlook on life. We were going to take a honeymoon to Europe and we still plan on going there one day, but once we went on that trip – everything changed. We realized how little we’ve seen of our own country, and how much more there is to explore. So we’re packing up the van and we’re going on an adventure!
I’m so excited to start this next chapter in my life. My husband said it best, “Most people settle down after they get married. We’re about to crank it up!” That, we most definitely are.
I believe it’s important to travel – and not just vacation but truly travel and explore. Traveling is good for your soul and here’s why:
- It gets you out of your comfort zone. Sometimes traveling is staying in a 5-star hotel but mostly it’s staying somewhere new and different. Being away from home forces you to try new things and create new experiences.
- You meet new people! This is my favorite part of traveling. I have so many wonderful friends I’ve met from traveling. Two of my best friends I met because my husband and I asked them to take a picture of us. That was 6 years ago. I’ve since been to their wedding across the county! Plus, it’s always fun to talk to new people.
- You see how other people live. This is another part of what makes traveling interesting. Everywhere is different and every town has its thing or its quirk. The people have their own traditions or their famous restaurants. There’s always something interesting about a new place.
- It opens your mind. Travelling has the ability to change you. Once you see how other people live or meet new people, it opens your mind and challenges you. It teaches you tolerance and acceptance because now you’ve seen how other people live their life differently from you. That can be jarring and unexpected but it can also be enlightening and humbling.
- You get to see new places. This might be obvious but that’s half the fun of traveling. You get to see incredible places! Whether it’s the Grand Canyon or a western sunset, every place has its beauty. You just have to find it.
Traveling may not always be an option for everyone so even if it’s just trying something new in your hometown or getting out of your comfort zone once in a while, that counts too!
Where is somewhere that you’ve visited that made an impact on your life? Where is somewhere you dream of visiting? Let me know in the comments below!
Related: 5 Eco-Friendly Travel Tips
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
- Road to The Gorge – Part 1 - October 17, 2018
- 28 of My Favorite Things! - September 28, 2018
- 28 Songs I Love - September 22, 2018
- 28 Things About Me! - September 14, 2018
- How to Create a Calm Space - August 8, 2018
- Summer Tailgate Essentials - August 1, 2018
- What I’ve been Loving Lately - July 25, 2018
- Top 5 Favorite Travel Destinations – East Coast Edition - July 20, 2018
- A DMB kind of Summer - July 6, 2018
- Update From The Road - June 29, 2018