Everyone likes to save money, right? What if I told you, you can save money by saving energy? There are so many things we can do to save energy in our homes that actually translates into money savings!
This past Earth Day, we here at From Under a Palm Tree attended a local Eco-Fest. We were able to meet with all kinds of organizations and vendors, with the intent to live more sustainable lives. In the second of a 4-part series, I want to share some of the energy-saving, money-saving tips we learned from Eco-Fest!
Related: Eco-friendly Landscaping Principles
10 Ways to Save Money by Saving Energy:
- Wash/rinse clothes in cold water. Cold water doesn’t require energy to heat.
- Keep blinds and curtains closed during hottest parts of the day to keep cool air inside (to prevent air conditioner from working overtime).
- Clean and change air filters regularly. Dirty air filters slow air flow and makes the air conditioner work harder.
- Avoid heat buildup inside by keeping doors to the laundry room closed. If you can, run washers and dryers after 10 pm.
- Install low-flow showerheads and water aerators on faucets to reduce water flow, therefore reducing consumption.
- Install Compact Fluorescent Lighting to reduce energy output as well as heat output.
- Set air temperatures at 78-80 degrees (this one might be harder to the south).
- Set temperatures at 68-70 for heating.
- Use ceiling fans only in occupied rooms. Ceiling fans cool people, not rooms. They also use energy, so don’t leave them running when no one can feel them.
- Change water heater temperature to 120 degrees (140 if you have a dishwasher).
These practices and habits help save money on your monthly utility bills. It might not be cash in your hand but you will definitely see a difference.
Please let me know in the comments below what you think of these energy-saving, money-saving tips! Do you already have some of these in place? Which one works best for you?
Related: 7 Reasons to Scoop the Poop
- Harry Potter Wedding Sand Ceremony - January 17, 2018
- How to Make Your Wedding Ceremony Unique - January 10, 2018
- Goal Setting and Beyond - January 5, 2018
- I Got Married! - January 3, 2018
- 6 Eco-Friendly Holiday Wrapping Tips - December 20, 2017
- DIY Christmas Tree Wrapping Paper - December 14, 2017
- Eco-Friendly Gifts - December 6, 2017
- November Ipsy Review - November 29, 2017
- What I am Thankful For - November 22, 2017
- DIY Holiday Potpourri Gift Jar - November 16, 2017