If you and your little ones are crafty, then this Paper Roll Caterpillar Pencil Holder is an easy craft you can make at home with items you probably already have in your supply. This little craft is one of my favorites for a few reasons. One, I can grab from my stock of saved up toilet paper and paper towel rolls and two, when it’s complete, it doesn’t have to end up in the trash!
This Paper Roll Caterpillar Pencil Holder is a craft that helps children’s fine motor development by learning to master cutting, painting, and pasting skills. It’s also a cute little addition to my son’s craft table in his playroom. He keeps his markers, pencils, and scissors in the rolls and it’s so adorable. I also took the chance to explain about recycling and reusing items when we can. Toilet paper and paper towel rolls are one of my favorite things to keep and reuse for crafts.
Related: DIY Fake Cake Pops
Check out some of the items you’ll need to make your own Paper Roll Caterpillar Pencil Holder.
- 4 toilet paper or 2 paper towel rolls cut in half
- Green & yellow acrylic paint
- 8 Black pom-poms
- Hot glue
- Glue stick
- Yellow, green, & blue construction paper
- Black pipe cleaners
- 2 Popsicle sticks
- Black marker
- Large google eyes
- *Optional- pink pom-poms
- Paint 2 toilet paper rolls or 2 paper towel rolls cut in half yellow and 2 green. Set aside to dry.
- Cut the base, body, and belly from your construction paper. Draw a few lines on the belly.
- Glue on the belly, eyes, mouth, antennas.
- Using a hot glue gun, attach each roll to the base. Then glue the body to the back of the rolls. I didn’t realize this would be a problem, but the head ended up being too heavy and it wouldn’t stay upright. After trimming and adding the popsicle sticks to the back of the head, it became more stable.
- Glue the black pom-poms to the bottom of the rolls to look like feet. Then attach pink pom-poms to the body (the rolls).
- Add hot glue wherever needed to make your Paper Roll Caterpillar Pencil Holder more stable.
This Paper Roll Caterpillar Pencil Holder looks so cute on a craft table, desk, or work area and it’s so easy to make.
Related: Earth Day Preschool Activities
What is one of your favorite toilet paper roll crafts? If you like my Paper Roll Caterpillar Pencil Holder, please pin and share.
Buy on Amazon:
This post contains affiliate links and advertisements. Affiliate links and affiliate ads help support From Under A Palm Tree and help pay for web hosting, email delivery, domain registration, and other various fees that help keep From Under A Palm Tree operational. We appreciate your support!
Hi! I’m Meagan I just turned 40! I’ve been married for 14 years. I’m a proud boy mom, happily navigating my way through the little boy years. I met my husband over 20 years ago in high school; we got married 10 years later after graduating from the University of South Florida. I currently help run a family business with my parents while blogging about my life and love of DIY projects!
When I’m not at a kids sports game, I enjoy spending time with my family on a beach anywhere. I also love decorating and organizing, fun DIY projects, bargain shopping, and eating out or in! I also love Barbecue anything and a good show or movie on Netflix.